Sunday 21 December 2008

Ubuntu On Samsung NC10

Last month I bought Samsung's NC netbook and I'm astonished how cool it is. It's really handy if you travel a lot (I do!) and have a lot to code (I do!). Unfortunately, there are some issues which have to be solved first.

1. Touchpad problem: It totally sucks when you write something and your fat and overdimensioned nerdy hand (or what I like to call it: The Hand Of Code) gets even slightly over the touchpad. Therefore you totally need to disable the touchpad for a certain time. Fortunately, the gods of Ubuntu created a program called 'syndaemon' which exactly works like this. It's useful to put it to your autostart via System > Preferences > Sessions.

2. Excessive load cycle: It slowly kills your hard drive. So better follow these instructions to set the correct values. It seems that there are still issues even if you've changed the options.


For further information you should check out:

Ubuntu on the Samsung NC10
Linux on the Samsung NC10
The Ubuntu NC10 Community Documentation

1 comment:

Samsung Toner Cartridges said...

You know what? I've been having the same problem with my Laptop, except mine is a Toshiba. Regardless, I'm pretty sure that if the same problem occurs with my laptop, then there is for sure something we can do about it. The question is, what is it? I actually took my laptop to a computer technician and he wanted to charge me an arm and a leg Just to open and check the laptop internally. For an arm and a leg I'll be glad to check it myself!